Sunday, March 31, 2013

Eye Glasses that Blinds!

Do you wear eyeglasses? What brand do you wear? Are you loyal to your brand? How well can you see with them? Did you know that most of the high-end brand name eye glasses on this planet is owned by one company? - Luxottica. Take off your glasses, open your eyes and take a look at my illustration for this week's word - 'eyeglasses'. I have been doing illustrations on Annual reports and what they could look like.

I wear Steve Madden, because I got the frame as a gift and based on my research it doesn't seem t be owned by Luxottica, so I am not promoting one of the world's monopolies. Here are the brands that the company owns.

Luxottica Household Brands
Luxottica Licensed Brands

Not only do they own these brands, they also own some of the retailers that sell the brands. Based on an article they could even be making 50 cent profit on every dollar you spend on a pair of shades. Some believe they are no better than the shades in a pharmacy and the money spent to update your shades and replace broken ones, is a fortune out of your pocket!

I created a few rough thumbnails to show a concept of Luxottica's customers blinded by its brands. The middle top thumbnail was chosen and the bottom left was incorporated into the design.
Thumbs eyeglasses
Below. are the steps used.

Step 1. Blocking the main area after creating the background. I only blocked the face to help myself get a feel of the shape head I wanted and the position. Unlike previous blogs, this time I used the lasso tool to get a more defined area

Step 1: Eyeglasses that Blinds

Step 2. Adding drawing lines. In this step I simple defined where he facial features are. They are not perfect right now but this was just to get a general idea. It is also time to note that this is my first portrait done in Photoshop and I intend keep improving as I love the look of portraits done in photoshop. I also added my reference image that I used to help with the face and hair.

Step 2: Eyeglasses that Blinds

Step 3: Eyeglasses that Blinds

Step 3. Painting! I was so excited when I was what kind of results photoshop painting can do. I blended colours for skin tone and added the glasses in, of course! The nose was the most challenging, but I believe it came out pretty well.

Step 5: Eyeglasses that Blinds

Step 4. Now, I added a radial gradient to make the glasses the focus of this illustration. Nice and simple step!

Step 6: Eyeglasses that Blinds

Step 5. The Most interesting step. How could i incorporate Luxottica's brands into this images. I wondered for a while where would I put the brand names. Then it came to me! on the glasses! So I visited Luxottica's website, took a screen shot of the brands charts and place it in photoshop on a layer in front of the glasses. I created a mask from the glasses then applied that mask to the brands screenshot. Quite unique looking.

Step 7: Eyeglasses that Blinds

The Finale. After lowering the opacity of the brands screen shot layer, I added my text and the Luxottica logo.

Do you see what I see? Is the brand you are wearing a Luxottica brand? If yes, I hope this opened your eyes so that so now know who really get your money.

Eye Glasses that Blinds

1 Comments:

Blogger albina N muro said...

Do you wear eyeglasses? What brand do you wear? Are you loyal to your brand? How well can you see with them? Did you know that most of the high-end brand name eye glasses on this planet is owned by one company curtains ashford

July 4, 2013 at 5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home